Thursday 6 December 2012

My Onion and I

My kindy had a Little Scientist project some weeks back.

We planted Allium cepa!
Source: Wiki

Oh well that's just the fancy name for onions, which of course come in different shapes, colors and sizes.


And they are used in various ways - fried, pickled, raw:
  

Some are also used rather unconventionally:
  

For our project, first my teachers kept the onions in the fridge to make them sprout.

They came out with yellow sprouty leaves all skewed to one side:

Apparently they were fighting for light.

Once they were exposed to the sun, they became straight and tall. 

I am proud to call this onion mine!


However, Wan is threatening to chop them off and put them in her cekodok batter.
 

While I may come home from school one day finding my onion leaves like this ...

I do not plan to quit farming and will find new crops to plant!

That looks interesting. I get a plant and a pet caterpillar all in one!

Oh look, this doubles up as something to drink from.

And these can serve as mats too!

One thing for sure, they would never end up in Wan's frying pan :)

No comments:

Post a Comment